Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The effects of light and shadow on photos and paintings...

I was thinking about famous paintings and photos, and I realised what made them so great; effects of light and shadow!!
Here are some examples of photos from Google Images:



I am not that great at said skill, although I am willing to give it a fair try. I think that some areas of art are much harder than others, like drawing lines could be classified as art, but that's not too hard is it? I would say random artwork like Picasso's are much harder to imitate and actually pull off!!
For my artist that we have to attempt to do a self-portrait in the style of, I have decided to do Salvador Dali. He was a Surrealist, and according to "Salvador Dali, exploring the irrational" (a book by Edmund Swinglehurst): he was finally expelled from the volatile group because his art and vision encompassed much more than mere ideology.
He was a fantastic artist, and even years after his time, his artwork continues to astound and inspire. Here are some of his famous works:

The Persistence of Memory (Soft Watches)

The Face of War

Slave Market with the Disappearing Bust of Voltaire

He has some really interesting paintings, especially of his wife Gala, and numerous animals and other cool objects and double-effects (like the picture above, can you see the people and the bust?). Now ... as for the one I'm going to base my self portrait on ...
Possibly The Man with the Head of Blue Hortensias (top), or Sleep (bottom)...
Quote of the day: The world only goes round by misunderstanding. - Charles Baudelaire

3 comments:

The Unknown Seeker said...

Those pictures are cool.
8)
PS this is for SombreoMan5,
sombrero!!

Bubbles said...

They are really effective. Cool, I love the photos!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW u have soooooooooo many veiws on your clustr map!! nice blog