Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The truth about the NZ flag

Warning: I am not sure if all the material in this post is historically, or at all, accurate
The NZ flag has a very gruesome past...
Or not :) :) :) :)
When the Europeans first came to NZ, and the capital of NZ was Russell, they introduced a flag that is very different to the current one, it was basically the St. George's Cross with the top-left-hand corner blue with the southern cross in it. I will see if I have a pic of it somewhere...
[I will acknowledge my source (Wikimedia commons), or else I would be plagiarising. PS: View my website on plagiarism at: Plagiarism 4 Dummies ]
This is roughly what I think it looked like, but I am not entirely sure (correct me if I am wrong). We were doing some stuff about it in class today, and this looks kind of like what Mr Woody drew. That is about all I know about the old flag, so I will say some stuff about the current one [ ]. I think this design came from a sailing flag that the far reaches of the British empire used, and that is why Australia has a similar one, but again, I am not sure. If someone who is reading this knows the truth, please leave a comment or email me at: SombreroMan5@hotmail.com.
There have been a few NZ flags over time, and most of them are at this site: Wikipedia NZ Flag. That is about all I know about the NZ flag, so in the words of Me, 'I shall go now'
Quote of the day: Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river. - Nikita Khrushchev

5 comments:

i couldn't think of one... said...

Wow I never new that. Cool :)

Anonymous said...

You have such a cool blog and interesting posts come and check out my blog I have put on a new post :)

MrWoody said...

This is an excellent follow up to what we were discussing in class. Well done OtherBoy. The rest of the class can learn from you.
:-)

The Other Boy said...

Thanks MrWoody, Iceman suggested that I do a post about it.

Mystery Man said...

wow the other boy your blog is awsome you have done so much research out of class well done!!!